Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Time For: Jessie Ware


"You should listen to my music cos it'll make you want to kiss someone..."

With her AMAZING album Devotion (produced by Julio Bashmore, Slime and Dave Okumu) out this week (seriously, it's actually brilliant), here's a little bit of chat from the SBTKT, Sampha and Joker collaborator, from when I interviewed her for i-D magazine.


Name: Jessie Ware
Age: 27
From: South London
Live: South London
Occupation: Singer

I’d describe my sound as… Romantic. It’s electronically driven soul and R&B. Because I’ve got a band, and we’ll be playing live, there will definitely be a lot more live elements than the songs I’ve already worked on with other people. Basically, it’s all quite soppy. I’d like it to be as romantic as possible. 

You should listen to my music because… It’ll make you want to kiss someone.

My main influences are… Sade, Aaliyah, Chaka Khan and my producer is in love with Prince and Grace Jones, so you’ll hopefully hear those influences on my album. I used to watch a lot of MTV Base, so a lot of R&B, but I’ve grown up with indie music too so I love bands like the National. As a writer, I’m obsessed with Feist and her lyrics. I love her. I think she is one of the best writers ever.

My career highlight to date is… Being asked to do Red Bull Carnival 2011 with Major Lazer. I was trying to get tickets anyway cos I wanted to go, so it was such an honour to be invited and asked to sing.

One thing you should know about me is… I’m scared of the dark. I run from the toilet back to the bedroom in case there’s a ghost behind me.

My claim to fame is… At Carnival last year, Diplo helped me to push past everyone in the toilet queue. It was embarrassing but necessary because there was only one loo by the end and everyone was just p****ing anywhere.

If I could work with anyone in the whole wide world it would be… A songwriter called Jeff Bhasker. He wrote Alicia Keys Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart, which is my favourite song and he did a lot on Kanye’s 808s & Heartbreak album. I love him.

My favorite woman in the whole wide world is… My mum. She’s pushy and Jewish but pushy and Jewish in all the right ways. 

My ultimate female anthem is… En Vogue Don’t Let Go. Little Mix did it on X Factor and it reminded me how much I loved it.

My wildest night out was… When I was touring with Jack PeƱate and Miike Snow and they took us to a strip club and made me have a lap dance. It was wild and rock and roll, but in all the wrong ways because I was so awkward. This girl was grinding me and I sat there dying.

My style icons include…  Lykki Li and Marilyn Monroe.

If I wasn’t doing this… I’d be a drama teacher like Mr. G in Summer Heights High, making the kids do my songs!

2012 is my year because… 2011’s been filled with hard work in preparation for 2012.


That's enough from Jessie. All we're saying is Devotion is basically beautiful vocals backed by brilliant, interesting production.

Check this review or stream here if you don't believe me.

Once you've done that, buy the album here.

Cool.

(BONUS: With the album recorded at the Red Bull stidios, it made sense that Jessie sat down and talking to Red Bull about the album. Listen to it here).


Follow Jessie
Like Jessie






No comments:

Post a Comment