Friday, May 3, 2013

Time For: Darq E Freaker



One of the grime's scenes foremost producers, we can thank Darq E Freaker for Tempa T's apocalyptic Next Hype. He's also worked with Wiley, JME and with US rhymer Danny Brown on the Blueberry EP. Now he's working with new Oakland rhymer Gita. Check the Darq E produced Mardi Gras, above.

We had a chat with the 25 year-old South East Londoner who describes himself as 'Professor of Urban Electronica'...



Who is Darq E Freaker?
I come from Peckham, I’ve had a whale of a time. I like food and I do music. I like good clothes, I like having fun. I’m living my dream. I used to sit at home on YouTube and on blogs watching people. I’d go to raves and see DJ’s playing and I’d be in the crowd wishing I was the guy making people go crazy. And now I’m that guy. Kind of (laughs).

How do you describe your sound?
Hype. I’m a hype person; I’m always moving and talking. When I make a tune with someone, I want to make people jump around because I’m jumping around. I want to make people feel what I feel. It’s life music. I love music and what I make embodies a mood of how I feel, the environment I’m in or something that’s affecting me. I try to make it resonate with everyone.

What or who are some of your influences?
Life. If I went to Brazil and was at the Carnival you might hear elements of that in a tune. If I went to Ireland and heard the Riverdance, maybe I’ll make a tune with that! I’ll always channel it through my own tunnel of what I do. When you hear my music, you  will always know it’s me. I’ve got my own style. I admire people like Calvin Harris, Kanye West and I grew up listening to Missy and Timbaland. My parents bought Biggie and 2Pac and then I got old enough and started listened to garage, DJ Luck and all that, and then that became grime and now today all music is fused together, like the whole world has come together. It’s bless.

Who else do you want to work with?
A big singer like Adele or someone like that.

How was working with Danny Brown?
He’s more crazy than he looks (laughs). He had an interview with Joker and they were talking about UK music and grime and Joker asked if he’d heard of Grime and he said ‘Hell yeah, Darq E Freaker, Cherryade!’ From there, people kept telling me, so he got at me via Twitter. DM’s, emails... the rest is history.

What's been the defining moment of your career so far?
Tempa T’s Next Hype but people didn’t really know that was me. They might still not know it was me, but I don’t mind that cos I’m not no glory whore. I just love being around music. Working with Danny Borwn made it more of a personality/ artist thing. Producers just used to make music, but now producers have identitys so I think the Danny Brown thing made me more of an artist, a personality.

So what other 'famous' fans do you have?
I was a Vice party and someone kept reloading my tune. I went to the decks to see who it was and it was Mark Ronson. I was like ‘You’re playing my tune, that’s me!’ He was like ‘Yeah, I know who you are!’ I was gassed, ecstatic about that.

If you weren't making music, what would you be doing?
Making money somehow, so in an office or something. But in my brain, I’ve never been been a person to be normal so I’d have to be doing something like sport or a bodybuilder or famous for robbing banks. I have to make an imprint on planet earth. I can’t sit down and be normal.

How's 2013 been for you so far?
I’m grateful for anything I’ve achieved so far. I’ve been making tunes in my bedroom in my mum’s house. I never thought I’d be able to move out and pay rent so that’s good enough for me. Anything is a bonus. My main aim is to live and maintain my life through music. Get a mortgage, have kids, take them to school. If I can do that through music I’m happy. I’m not trying to be a megastar. Just live and maintain.

What's the toughest part of your job?
Maintaining your hype and your heat. When no one cares, if that snowballs, your life is over. That’s my biggest fear. I’ve got so many ideas in my head, that if Darq E died, I’d make up another name like Jeremiah the 5th or something and keep making tunes that people would like.

Follow Darq E
Listen to Darq E

No comments:

Post a Comment